Stem Ginger Oat Cookies -- A Tea Drinker's Delight!

For those of us who enjoy tea finding the right cookie to go along with it is a life long endeavor.  Recently at our local grocer a woman was sampling something called Nairn's Stem Ginger Oat Cookies.  We sampled and bought.  They are so crisp and spicy.  At a cost of 3.49 for 20 cookies I decided I had to try making something similar that wasn't quite as expensive.  I wasn't able to duplicate the taste and texture of this lovely cookie but I did come up with something that is crunchy, spicy and delicious.


I made my own oat flour by putting the oatmeal in the food processor and pulsing until it resembled a course flour.   

Stem Ginger Oat Tea Cookies

Cream:

1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
1/2 cup sugar

Add to the creamed mixture:

2 tablespoons fresh ginger (mine wasn't very strong - this depends on the quality of your ginger)

Combine, sift and add to the cream mixture:

1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup oat flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger

If the batter is too stiff add up to a teaspoon of water.

Mix until combined.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.


Roll dough into small balls (the size of a small super ball) and flatten with your palm.  Place on prepared baking sheet.  Bake approximately 10 - 13 minutes until golden brown on the edged.  Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.  Makes 20 - 24 cookies.  Enjoy!

Comments

  1. What a great cookie!

    I like to bake but have never had a ton of luck with cookies. I burnt two batches during my first attempt at chocolate chip cookies several years back and turned to brownies. In fact, I never even attempted Christmas cookies until this year ... with limited success.

    Well, I went for it this weekend and whipped these up. The recipe was so easy to follow; they were so easy to make. I might lose my cookie baking phobia yet! I had one out of the oven and haven't tried one with tea. However, I think they would be perfectly matched. I'll likely try another with a cup of tea as I watch Downton Abbey tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts